I just experienced my very first hurricane right here in Fort Myers.
Hurricane IRMA was a real in your face view of the power of mother nature. My home is about 3 miles north of the Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) in Fort Myers, FL. The winds here were clocked at over 120 MPH. My home was just built last year and didn’t suffer any wind damage. But some of the landscape around my home didn’t fair as well.
The winds were coming from the east at 120 mph as the storm eye wall passed over us. Next we were inside the eye and the winds completely stopped for about 20 minutes. After that, the winds started coming from the west but with much less force than the winds in front of the eye. About 30 minutes later we lost all electric power and it took FPL 2 and 1/2 days to turn it back on again.
- Make sure you have at least 2 flashlights and extra batteries.
- When the storm shudders are on all your outside windows, it will be pitch black inside your home at night.
- You must buy an electric generator BEFORE you actually need one.
- You can use the USB port in your car to charge a cell phone.
- When a traffic light isn’t working, it becomes a stop sign for all directions.
- Some people will not follow lesson 5 above so WATCH OUT for them.
- Restaurants are not open when there is a power failure. Same applies to gas stations.
- After the storm passes by, all your family and friends will say “you should have left before the storm hit”. Really?